Saturday 25 June 2022

The Vegan Journey of Sharmistha Maji | Vegan Beings India #075

 

I was assigned an article on veganism in 2018, back when I was a lifestyle journalist. It was the first time I found out what that word means. Till then, I had assumed that vegan means vegetarian 😂

So I started doing research, which usually takes an hour or two. But for this particular article, I spent days. I just couldn’t stop, because the facts I came across about the dairy industry were so astonishing and painful. I kept digging deeper and learned how female cows are artificially inseminated or raped, separated from their newborn calves, and tortured to produce milk for us (the human race whose population & demands are ever-growing). The truth hit me so hard that I couldn’t get myself to consume dairy anymore.


It took almost a week to make the final decision. Because I loved cheese and butter so much, it was hard to give them up just like that. For one moment, it felt impossible but the next moment, I reminded myself of the innocent beings who did not deserve the unethical treatment just for my taste.

By the way, I had already turned vegetarian from a hardcore non-vegetarian 6 months before that. It was after watching a few violent movies and overnight, that I felt I didn’t want to eat an animal anymore. This was easy because I was disgusted at the thought of meat after that.

The first year of veganism was very very hard. Firstly, when everyone around you is eating your favourite pizza or dessert, you are tempted and can get very frustrated. And secondly, because in the first year, I had no idea about all the amazing vegan alternatives available in the market today.

So I was feeling horrible, controlling my cravings, giving up twice or thrice only to start feeling guilty again. But once I started getting to know about vegan cafes & products in my city, the journey became so much easier.

Eventually, I felt empowered, satisfied, and proud to be a vegan. It gives you a different kind of high when you achieve this level of determination and strength to say no to your favourite foods and stick to your ethics and principles for the innocent animals.


Around the beginning of my 2nd year of being vegan, I discovered vegan curd, cheese, butter, kinds of milk, meats, and ghee. Since then there was no turning back. I started enjoying vegan alternatives very much and did not miss dairy so much anymore. And after two years, I completely forgot the taste of dairy, and my tastebuds got used to vegan food. So I am not tempted anymore even when my friends are eating dairy-based cheese or desserts in front of me.

Being a huge foodie, I was constantly researching where I can find vegan food. That is how I ended up with a lot of info and eventually decided to start my page, mainly with the intention that vegans should not miss out on great food.

Also, in the initial days, I tried to influence friends/family to go vegan and was just angry when they would not understand. But slowly I realised that this change can never come when someone tells you to go vegan. It takes something really big and moving to understand the harsh truth and requires a lot of strength to adopt veganism.

Eventually, I also felt more empathy and less anger towards them. The human race has been conditioned this way for so many generations. It is not so easy to change their mindset. So I gave up trying to tell people about it and instead decided to focus on the positive aspect of veganism - which is delicious vegan food.


Veganism is not a sacrifice. It is extremely basic, empowering, and satisfying. You just got to taste the vegan chicken, cashew cheese, or curd available today, or the amazing chocolate shakes you can make with almond milk and you will be surprised. Just being open to new tastes can help you reduce animal suffering. 

I feel great being a vegan, having meaningful conversations with vegans, and exchanging notes on new vegan products with them. I also really enjoy hunting for vegan food during my travels. It makes me very excited. I have loved vegan food in Pondicherry the most till now.

I have felt much calmer, more at peace, and healthier after adopting veganism fully. It has improved my skin and gut health as well. Plus, life as a vegan is a party after you get to know vegan ice creams, burgers, sweets, etc.


Hello everyone! I’m Sam, a vegan food influencer who runs the page vegan_foodie_india. I cover delicious plant-based finds across India as well as vegan news, recipes, and reviews. I have been a vegan for more than 3 years now and am a travel addict who enjoys exploring new cuisines. I also recently started a YouTube channel to document my travels. By profession, I’m a digital content editor.


Share:
Location: Hyderabad, Telangana, India