Saturday 14 August 2021

The Vegan Journey of Dyuthi Konakalla | Vegan Beings India #043


 I started living a more low waste lifestyle in August 2019 for several reasons. It annoyed me when my parents would bring home groceries in plastic or when my dad ordered stuff online, and they would come covered in plastic. I realised that while I could not affect that, I could control what I eat. 

So, I initially avoided dairy due to environmental reasons, especially after watching Cowspiracy, which opened my mind. In January 2020, I made a new year’s resolution to eat plant-based food four times a week. This frequency slowly increased, and by April, I quit most dairy. I learned so much more about the cruelty behind dairy throughout this journey, and that was when I started animal rights and environmental activism. 

My sister went vegan with me, so it was much easier for me to eat and make vegan alternatives at home. I was always a vegetarian, so I only had to quit dairy. It surprised me that I could even do it because I couldn't finish a meal without curd rice or eat anything without pouring ghee all over it. 


Another reason I started eating plant-based is for health reasons, since dairy is difficult to digest and was a cause for my mild sinus. As soon as I quit it, my nose started feeling better than before. By the end of April 2020, I couldn't think of any reason why I would want to keep eating dairy, so within 2-3 months, I went completely vegan.

Being vegan helped me find a community that thinks alike and fights for the same reason: animal liberation. It makes me feel happy that I don't contribute to animal cruelty just for my sensory pleasure or entertainment. I learned so much through the articles on the internet, and I frequently share resources and tips on my page.

It also helped me realise how amazing plant-based food is, and it's not that hard to quit dairy if you remind yourself why you are doing it. I also learned the difference between being plant-based and being vegan: being vegan isn't enough; it needs to be paired with animal activism to achieve animal liberation.

We started my small business in March 2021 mainly to spread awareness that healthy and vegan food is super delicious. The business has received a little over 50 orders so far. I have been following a sustainable lifestyle since August 2019, which made me more conscious about many things: buying new clothes, not wasting vegetables, switching to a menstrual cup and cloth pads, which saved me so much money and are much more comfortable than plastic pads. This inspired my mom and sister to start using plastic-free menstrual products. For the past two years, we have had no menstrual waste, which I believe is my most significant achievement.

I have found that the whole vegan movement has become more about the people than the animals, resulting in fewer people making the change to veganism based on one or two negative experiences with vegans. I find it very hard not to judge people who have all the information right in front of them but choose to continue to support the meat and dairy industry. It hurts more when the people you love also continue to do it. 


Please understand that we are not all that different from non-human animals, and they don't deserve the cruelty they are going through just for our fleeting pleasure.

Through veganism, I have learnt to be kind and compassionate. I have understood how many people are subject to change and how many stick to their ideologies without reviewing any facts. I have felt many positive changes at the same time. Veganism changed my whole life for the better: how I think, how I eat, and how I approach people.

Go vegan and speak up for the animals. Make the change, and the rest will fall into its place.
______

Hello, I'm Dyuthi who recently finished my 12th Humanities and recently started a small business which has no name yet but serves yummy healthy and vegan food. I took interest in food when I stopped eating unhealthy food from outside and had to make my own vegan versions at home and quite enjoyed it. I learned the basics from school since I had Home Science as a subject.


Share:
Location: Bengaluru, Karnataka, India