Sunday 25 July 2021

The Vegan Journey of Kaivalya Kashyap | Vegan Beings India #042

 

Pravallika Nagam, who used to work at 'Blue Cross of Hyderabad', is a full-time animal rights activist and a vegan for more than 10 years. She was impressed with the sincere welfare work I do for animals, but she knew I had no idea about the dairy industry and the cruelty behind it. 

She took me for a long drive, not just for fun but to dairy farms. I wept one whole day. This, I must say, was the most significant transformation in my life, and here I am, a true animal lover now. If she didn't come into my life, I would've engaged in animal cruelty for longer. Also, she is the one who got me into sustainability as she leads a zero-waste lifestyle.

The most bitter and life-changing experience for me was that tour. We wrongly believe that cruelty happens only in commercial and large scale dairy farms, but nowadays, wherever there is dairy, there is cruelty. Calves are tied far away from their mothers. Cows and buffalos are tied such that they can't even move their heads freely and are given injections to increase the quantity of milk supply. Surprisingly, the dairy farm owners don't even know the name of the injection. They aren't fed quality food, but the remains from the local hotels. If a cow giving milk is injured, she is sent for slaughter. I saw all this with my own eyes and knew that I had to change my lifestyle.


Four years ago, when I turned vegan, I had no negative experience with my family. My entire family is into animal welfare; they were happy that I understood many more things and went a step ahead. My mother and my brother Kalyan are my pillars. My mother was a little worried about my sources of Calcium in the beginning, but it didn't take me more than an hour to show her plenty of other Calcium sources. Since going vegan, my body has become lighter. I have no constipation issues, hair fall or sleepless nights anymore. I can sleep happily without the guilt that I have harmed any animal that day.


However, many friends and family still express doubt, and when I am sick for a long time, they blame my vegan lifestyle, as if non-vegans don't get sick. I feel so disappointed that most vegans are ridiculed this way and that people close to us still don't understand what we stand for.

But despite the negativity, I see many in my circle and social media interested in my thoughts. I see people who at least took a step towards quitting meat and started doing animal welfare. A few turned vegan as well. I have been getting positive vibes from people for a year now. I also know they are stuck either because of the taste or doubts about Calcium, protein etc. Hence, my aim is to break down these barriers and introduce them to a guilt-free, ethical lifestyle. I believe that a non-vegan environmentalist doesn't exist.

Finally, I request people to see the actual side of dairy, meat, and fashion and realise the truth. Why must we opt for such a cruel lifestyle of living when we have alternatives? We are no longer early men. Bodybuilders, athletes and film stars are going vegan. Do we think we need a stronger body than those like them, who actually need it?

____

Hello! I am Kaivalya, surrounded by animals and plants all the time. Digital marketer by profession and dancer by passion. I love making content to create awareness among people regarding veganism, animal rights and sustainability.

Share:
Location: Hyderabad, Telangana, India