Thursday 23 September 2021

The Vegan Journey of Ishaan Jain | Vegan Beings India #049

 

In January 2020, I was exploring Cannaught place in Delhi and I came across this particular van of chickens. Behind the van, I saw a person picking up a hen and thrashing her in a cage. She was flapping her wings, I could clearly see the suffering in her eyes. That one moment hit my conscience. I was a born vegetarian and I knew I was not actively contributing to the murder of hens but that day I decided to start speaking against what happens in the animal agriculture industry. So I started advocating for the animals within my closed circle. 


Through my avocation, I got introduced to the concept of animal rights and animal liberation. I came across the video of Deadly Dairy in India on YouTube and got introduced to the atrocities of the dairy industry in India. Overnight, I decided to go vegan. Later, I tried to figure out what all it was that I should eat. Slowly and gradually I understood, learned more about plant nutrition. My relationship with food ended up improving a great deal, I lost a ton of weight and became healthier as a person.

Post that I started creating content on veganism and animal rights to educate people around me on the same. I have also been doing some street outreaches in which we visit different places across Delhi and try to educate people on animal rights. Having one on one conversations with people and seeing the soft spot that most of the people have for animals, has been amazing as a collective experience. 


I would just like to let all non-vegans know, please spend time with animals and help animals in your capacity. Be it in the form of rescuing animals, speaking up against the injustice that animals go through. Because once you start advocating, to be consistent with your advocacy, you would automatically want to become a vegan.

After going vegan, I started challenging all social injustices that I came across, be it in the form of sexism, racism, casteism in my capacity. Aside from that, the health benefits that I have experienced have been mind-boggling. Getting fitter and being able to run 10s of km without stopping. All of it has only been possible because of this lifestyle that I undertook.

____



Hello everyone, I’m Ishaan Jain. I am an animal liberation activist based in Delhi, India. I have been doing activism for the last 1.5 years. I am also running and supporting my family business. My hobbies would include visiting different coffee houses, restaurants across Delhi, trying a variety of vegan food, and always seeking adventure in life.


Share:
Location: New Delhi, Delhi, India