Friday 26 November 2021

The Vegan Journey of Muthukumar Ramalingam | Vegan Beings India #056


After seeing my children go the vegan way, I did my research and went vegan- because that was the right thing to do. I was someone who used to eat curd with anything. Curd even with idli or dosa. Giving up that was a challenge- but not hard at all. If I, (someone who used to eat so much curd) could go vegan, anyone can.
 
We were always vegetarians. Initially I thought that the word vegan was short for vegetarian. It was later that I realized that vegetarianism is a diet and veganism is a moral stance against animal abuse/use. My daughter went vegan first. I was quite puzzled initially, but the facts are clear and if you understand them, going vegan is the right thing to do. We are breeding and killing 70 billion land animals every year. Animal agriculture is such a cruel and inefficient process. After reading about veganism, there was no reason not to be vegan and that's how I turned vegan.


After learning so many new facts about the meat and dairy industry and about veganism, I felt that all these facts were in different places and couldn't find them all in one place. That motivated me to write my first book 'Vegan or We're Gone', which covers everything I learnt about veganism- the why and the how, about the animals and the earth and what different religions have said about veganism. The book was released in the Global Vegan Business Expo 2020 virtually.


We are at a tipping point. We are running out of time. Billions of land animals and trillions of marine animals are killed every year for food and gains of humans, causing unimaginable violence and misery to animals, environment and earth. Food on our plates is the next nuclear bomb- but incorrectly labelled as meat and dairy. Is there a way to stop the explosion of this bomb? Yes, going vegan is definitely a key.


I read about different religions while writing my book. I was surprised to see that every religion had spoken about the values of veganism and compassion towards animals, and yet many humans use religion as an excuse to continue to participate in violence like meat/dairy and animal sacrifice.

____

Hello everyone. I am Muthukumar Ramalingam. I live in Trichy. I am the CEO of HelloLeads.io and the author of  'Vegan or We're Gone'. I have given virtual talks at colleges and companies on veganism. I went vegan close to 3 years ago.



 

Share:
Location: Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India