Sunday 9 January 2022

The Vegan Journey of Radha G | Vegan Beings India #058

 


It has been 8 years since I've been vegan. Compassion for cows inspired me to go vegan. The movie Earthlings and Nandita Shah's Program, Peas vs pills made me more aware. All this led me to a lifestyle that avoids cruelty to other animals. Checking what my needs are and ensuring I don't meet them by "unfair means", at the cost of other sentient beings on earth became my motto.

Being a vegetarian from birth, I imagined that I was living a fairly compassionate life - causing minimal harm to other animals. As I was an avid baker, when I heard about the vegan cake the first time, I was positively scornful - about how folks could dream about replacing dairy products like butter, milk in an eggless cake!

It took a while to consider the perspective that the milk that is sold is often obtained by depriving calves of their mother's milk. Just as the (human) mother's milk is ideal for the baby, nature had intended cow's milk for the calf!  What hit hard was the realisation that my consumption of milk involved impregnating the female of another species and keeping her lactating for as long a time as possible during her life. 

Initially, family social gatherings were embarrassing as hosts would be confused about what to offer me. I would find it embarrassing to be a "fussy" guest. At times I would feel frustrated to find nothing vegan at all in the desserts section. 

However, turning vegan has made me more aware of what comes on my plate and what is the journey the food has made? Has it been made with zero pain to other earthlings? Am I consuming something that was not intended for me in the first place?

The journey has led to more awareness. It has made me pause whenever I have used something or eaten... to check in my mind how this product was made or sourced. Is there any cruelty involved?

My daughter turned vegan out of her own choice. She is 19 now and is into vegan activism. 

These 8 years have led to greater awareness and a sense of responsibility to make choices that don't harm other living beings on earth. I have had debates with colleagues who are from agrarian families saying cows are like their family members so there is no question of exploitation. They find the idea of veganism alien. However, I have felt lighter and my conscience feels clear about what I consume. Ahimsa life, at least as much as possible. 

_________

Hello everyone, I’m Radha G. I teach Chemistry in senior secondary school. I am also a past life regression therapist, breathwork therapist, and Life Coach. I play the sitar, enjoy reading, and being in nature.


Share:
Location: Bengaluru, Karnataka, India