Friday 9 July 2021

The Vegan Journey of Ruchika Chitrabhanu | Vegan Beings India #040


I first got to know about veganism 25 years ago through my in-laws, Gurudev Chitrabhanu and Pramoda Chitrabhanu. I tried going vegan in intervals for a short period. It was only when I saw Peta's feature on Indian Dairy, it dawned on me that cows in India are treated as commodities and not as mothers anymore. 

When I was feeding my child, I realized that human milk and animal milk look the same. Just as my body produces milk for my child, so does a cow produce milk for her calf. I would be devastated if my child were taken away from me. This was the turning point to go vegan.

Finally, 15 years ago I turned vegan. The only alternative available back then was soy milk, nothing else. Restaurants didn't know what a vegan is. So, going to parties or restaurants was a challenge. But being a vegan and not being instrumental in anyone's suffering made me far more happy. So honestly, I didn't miss much. At home, it was easy to make Indian food vegan as it is not dairy-dominated.


During those times, veganism was unknown in India. I got the opportunity to explain this to people. Over the years, I have helped many people transition to a vegan lifestyle or replace a few animal products with plant-based products with empathy and respect. Today, many of them are advocating for veganism and helping others transition.

I am a co-founder of Ahimsa Fest, India's largest vegan festival and a great place for vegans, vegan-curious, and non-vegans to know more about veganism. I recently founded The Earthen One, where we do online events to spread the message to a broader audience. There has been a lot of learning we had to do, but it has been a wonderful experience so far.



Being vegan has led me to many discoveries – health-wise, product-wise, people-wise. I now meet people who are so much more alert and not bogged down by senseless traditions and read about disruptive innovations in the food and fashion space. But what matters at the end of the day is that I am so much happier.

To anyone reading this, remember: Compassion has no form and that is why it has no boundaries. You have the power to make an impact that will last forever by making small changes (by going vegan). Use it.

___

Hello, I am Ruchika Chitrabhanu, an Interior Designer with a deep passion for design and art and an eye for detail. I have been an ethical vegan for 15 years, spreading awareness about veganism as a co-founder of Ahimsa Fest and founder of The Earthen One.


Share: