Saturday 19 February 2022

The Vegan Journey of Rupbrata Das | Vegan Beings India #061

 



I have always loved dogs and cats. However, I would take pride in my ability to eat chicken and pork in great amounts. I was a ferociously carnist. When I got to know that pigs are as intelligent as dogs, I was shocked. I started watching training videos and cuddling videos of pigs. My girlfriend said she can't eat pigs again after knowing and seeing these facts. At first, I did not understand why she would still eat other animals but not pigs. Then I started to notice my hypocrisy. I would love a dog but eat a pig. Soon I started searching "Why do we need meat" to look for reasons to continue eating meat. However, I bumped into videos of Ed Winter, Mic the Vegan, Plant-Based News, etc. Well, what can I say when the logic is too clear to unsee it.


Though I know many people find it difficult, I transitioned overnight. What helped me was my love for animals. I stopped eating meat and dairy. But there was milk hidden in many products from the grocery store. After I started omitting those products, I became sad as there was not much left to eat. Here came YouTube again and showed the power of vegan cooking. Being a Bengali also helped me, as my mom is a great cook. She made tasty vegetables for lunch and dinner. But sharing the dining table with my family became difficult, as they would eat non-vegan food almost every day. At first, I could not tolerate it because I would feel tempted. However, after a few months, I started to see dead animals on the table. That was very disturbing. So I started eating separately. Apart from food, my choice of media consumption also changed. I have started watching vegan documentaries, vegan cooks, etc.


After I turned vegan my rescue work became much more frequent. As I indulged more and more into rescuing, some things became very clear :

1) Laws for protecting animals are a joke in India. Anyone can kill an animal if they are not listed as protected wildlife of that state. 
2) Donations are not a great model for someone if they want to continue rescue work, as government grants are rare. Donations are too uncertain. 
3) We lack fundamental education that can make us compassionate towards others.

That is why this year, I have started a company that can donate all of its profits towards animal rescue. I believe @dandelion_connect will become successful. It will take time for sure, but it will certainly happen. Social entrepreneurship can only save animals in this country.


Non-vegans are not so different from vegans. I was also a non-vegan once. I know why they make fun of vegans. But that is just hatred for something that puts us out of our comfort zone, takes us against the stream. I don't know why they say that vegans impose their life choices. If removing euphemism from a certain thing makes you uncomfortable then it's time you should think about it more. "Meat is Murder" is not outrageous because it is wrong. It is outrageous because it does not hide the truth. Everyone knows dead animal flesh must come from a dead animal. As we are progressing into a world where the air is unbreathable, the earth is grey and water is poisoned, you must think twice about the life choices that took us here in the first place.


There are so many things that I keep discovering every day after being vegan. I have certainly become more sensitive towards my surroundings. People say vegans are easily triggered. I guess that is not the right way to frame it. I think vegans respond towards injustice more readily than others.



Hello everyone, I am Rupbrata Das. I work as a freelance content developer. My first and foremost hobby is taking care of my non-human sons and daughters. I do some rescue work whenever I can. I wish to become a social entrepreneur with a large sanctuary where rescued animals can thrive. I have been vegan for more than one and a half years.

Share:
Location: Malda, West Bengal, India