Thursday 24 March 2022

The Vegan Journey of Jayalaxmi Rai | Vegan Beings India #066

                                                            

I was a hardcore non-vegetarian. My brother Annand and a friend Melina had gone vegan and they were nagging me to watch Earthlings for a while. After stalling for some time, I finally relented and watched Earthlings. I was stunned as I watched it. I could not complete the documentary in one sitting. I was sobbing away as I watched it. I am not someone who would be moved to tears easily. But watching animals being abused like this was horrific, especially when I considered myself an animal lover. 

I gave up eating meat for a while but desensitised myself after a while and got back to consuming meat occasionally. After a few months, I had moved back to Dubai and attended a yoga & meditation course called SSY, where one of the interpreters spoke about the horrors in the dairy industry. They also spoke about the meat industry and one fast-food chain in particular which I used to love. He said that they were now producing headless and featherless chickens.


That was the turning point for me. I decided to give up meat that instant. I was also introduced to the concept of consuming raw foods at this institute. I had given up all dairy too except for cheese which took me a year to give up. I later learned that there was a reason I took so long to give up cheese (dairy) primarily because it has addictive properties. So on the 14th of September 2014, I finally went vegan and never looked back. It’s been more than seven years and as any vegan will tell you: I wish I was born Vegan. It is one of the best decisions of my life.


I have learned an incredible lot in the past 5 years and keep learning so much more each day. These have been valuable and fantastic years. I loved every moment of it! I feel super energetic after going vegan and keep getting better by the day. I also think if you incorporate a lot of raw foods and whole foods into your diet you will always be in your element. Walking for miles or being on my feet all day is not a task at all. So if you want to thrive rather than just survive try this lifestyle for yourself and see.

My journey after going vegan has been nothing short of fantastic. I researched for 3 years about all things vegan and experimented a lot. During this time I also decided to open a small little restaurant in Pune. I dedicated it to my grandmother and named it Granny's Bowl in 2016.


Granny's Bowl had an ever-changing menu with different days dedicated to different cuisines. I had got a lot of support from my own family, friends, and especially my lovely aunt Nirmala Shetty. It was financially a roller coaster. I had no experience at that time running a restaurant with no idea how much of an investment it would take. I also was crazy enough to cook, clean & run operations all on my own. I shut shop in 2 years & operated from home for 2 years. I had the energy to cook & cater for 100+ people too. However, it was financially difficult to operate. I shut down the cloud kitchen too. I got into Vegan Food Consultancy and Activism (The Save Movement).

I now work for The Save Movement ~ Health Save Chapter, called Pune Health Save, and share a lot of recipes, information and so much more. If you want us to do an outreach and vegan food tasting in your area in Pune, just DM us. We will make it happen.


To non-vegans I have this to say: I used to have eggs for breakfast, fish for lunch, and chicken for dinner. If I can go vegan, anyone can. Also, it's not a deprivation diet at all. Instead of dairy-based milk, you can have coconut milk, cashew milk, almond milk, soy milk, rice milk, hazelnut milk, mung milk, millet milk, sesame milk. I can go on 😁. Also, instead of eating the flesh of sheep and goat, there are a vast array of vegan meats, mushrooms, yams, jackfruits and so much more. Vegan butter, cheese, yoghourt, ghee, and ice cream are all now available at our fingertips. So, go vegan! You will enjoy it and we are here to help you. Besides, it will give you abundant energy. You will be blessed by the animals at large and the planet.


Share:
Location: Pune, Maharashtra, India