Saturday 6 February 2021

The Vegan Journey of Vismaya Kulkarni | VBI #022

 


I'm a psychology graduate & an animal rights activist. I aspire to contribute to the field of animal psychology some day. I've been trying low waste living since quite a while. I'm the founder of @luna.upcycle.store , an upcycling store on Instagram. My heart is where art is. I have a blog too!

I remember watching Peta's videos on Facebook back in 9th grade. I can clearly recall the horror the animals went through in those videos. I spoke to my mom about it, who then introduced the term 'vegan' to me. Unfortunately, back then, there wasn't much awareness & exposure about veganism in my 14 year old self's life. But, as I grew up, so did my love for dairy. 

When I got into college, I still used to watch Peta's videos occasionally. The fear & tears in those animals' eyes as they were being dragged, gives me chills even today. One day, I looked at my dog, and it just struck me. I realised, if I didn't want the same thing happening to my dog, then how could I let it happen to other animals? 

My empathetic self soon knew that I had to go vegan, but I didn't know how. Fortunately, at college, I met many other vegans & got the exposure to veganism & alternatives that I badly needed. That's when I turned vegan overnight, because I couldn't let even one other animal suffer because of me. I soon learnt that I had to do my own research on it, and when I did, I learnt about even more benefits & results of going vegan- like for the environment, my own health, etc. But to this day, my number one reason to go vegan is for the animals.

Since the products I was craving were easily available, it took a lot of will power on my side to continue being vegan initially. I still feel like, if my will power was not that strong like it was, I would've given up easily (but thank goodness, I didn't!). This is why I always tell people, if I can do it, so can you. 


A major achievement of mine would be showing people the truth through my page @planetontheplate and them going vegan because of that. I feel like I've not only changed so many animals' lives, but also people's. I have also hosted multiple events & have also been a panelist at few. I realized being vegan isn't enough, I have to have a holistically sustainable lifestyle. So, I've been trying low waste living, which led me to create @luna.upcycle.store, where I use items deemed as waste to create beautiful & functional products from them.

With all my efforts, I aim to make people aware of the truth as well as help them adapt a vegan & sustainable lifestyle.


Share:
Location: Goa Velha, Goa 403110, India